Find out how I feed my family on a shoestring budget.

Monday 13 January 2014

Homemade Granola

I was inspired yesterday by A Girl Called Jack's peanut butter granola. Brilliant. I love peanut butter too and I really like granola, but find it hard to justify eating something so sugary in the morning, so this was a great solution.

Anyway, I thought I'd adapt it to suit my own needs, tastes and store cupboard. As a vegan I don't eat honey, but a mix of agave syrup and maple syrup (which I have in the cupboard) would work.

So here's my recipe:

oats
agave syrup
maple syrup
coconut oil
pecan nuts
dessicated coconut
sunflower seeds
dried cherries
peanut butter
sultanas
cinnamon

I'm afraid I haven't got any measues for this, and to be honest the ingredient list just comprises what I had. You could pretty much substitute anything (except the oats, it wouldn't be granola without the oats) for what you've got. Here's how I made it.

Chuck a big spoonful of peanut butter, a spoonful of coconut oil, a squeeze of agave syrup and a drizzle of maple syrup into a pan and melt together.

Add in any other stuff you want (nuts, seeds, dried fruit).

Add a good shaking of oats and mix.

At this stage I didn't think it looked like I had enough oats, so I threw in some more. Then it looked a bit dry so I added some more peanut butter and coconut oil.

Spread on a baking tray and bake in a medium oven (gas mark 6 here) until it smells cooked and looks slightly toasted.

Give it a stir and put back in the oven (turn it off if you're a scatter brain like me and have other things to flit to) to dry out.

Store in  an air tight container.

I'm guessing mine costs more than Jack's 10p a portion, due to the inclusion of stuff like coconut oil and maple syrup. To be honest though, I haven't got a clue, these were all things I already had and I only used a wee bit of each (I'm really good at eeking). I don't spend alot on food, but I do keep a stock of stuff like this.

What this made me wonder is why I write this blog, so perhaps I should explain. Got to dash to do a puzzle with N, but I will explain in my next post and I'll put up a pic of the granola.





No comments:

Post a Comment