Find out how I feed my family on a shoestring budget.

Wednesday 5 February 2014

Urgh, the weather is horrible. Comfort food is called for. Plus I am still nursing a cold which followed a really horrible virus (hence no post last week).

So the menu this week is as follows:

Saturday - S and N had pizza and I had, erm, can't remember, but something easy, some pasta I think!
Sunday - Homemade pie, mashed potato and assorted veg
Monday - Tofu hash
Tuesday - Tacos
Wednesday - Stew and dumplings (from the freezer)
Thursday - Fish fingers and chips (yes, vegan fish fingers really)
Friday - Kidney bean pasta

So there's a lot of soya and processed food this week, but as I said I am still nursing a cold and needing easy meals.

This week I went over budget - £46 but that followed a bargain shop of £32 the week before, so it's swings and roundabouts I guess.

Here's my recipe for tofu hash (I'll try and upload a pic too)

1 block of tofu,
3 medium potatoes
2 tomatoes
half a can of sweetcorn
half a packet of green beans
2 small onions


Drain the tofu, wrap in kitchen paper and press witha heavy book on a plate.
Cut the tofu into cubes and fry, drain on kitchen paper.
Peel the potatoes and cut into cubes, parboil.
Saute the onion and tomatoes.
Add the cooked potato, it will mush up a bit.
Lightly blanch the beans.
Add the sweetcorn and beans.

Serve.

I also deglazed the pan with a bit of balsamic vinegar and put that on the side.


Hmm, I promise it was nicer than this looks. Must learn to take better food photos!


No comments:

Post a Comment