Find out how I feed my family on a shoestring budget.

Monday 10 February 2014

Vegan Donner Kebabs!



Here’s our menu for this week

Saturday – Suet pastry crunchy pasties with boiled potatoes and peas
Sunday – Cheats roast beef with yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes and veg.
Monday – Vegan donner kebabs and chips
Tuesday – Thai Green curry (from a couple of weeks ago in the freezer)
Wednesday – Chick pea curry
Thursday – Stroganoff
Friday – Cashew nut teriyaki

This week’s spend - £38, but I had vouchers for £6, giving a grand total of just over £32.

The pasties were filled with a swede, onion, carrot, celery and red lentil mix. I used half marg and half veggie suet to make the pastry. I made 10 pasties, so that's at least two more meals stashed in the freezer.



Sunday and Monday’s dinners were made possible thanks to a vegan beef roasting joint. The ingredient list for this anomaly is pretty small and is based on wheat gluten. It’s not cheap at nearly £4.50 per joint, but my Mum spotted these in a well known health food shop before Christmas reduced to a £1 each, so I bought a couple and stashed them in the freezer. One joint will do two dinners for us – a roast on Sunday and kebabs on Monday (S says the veggie meat is quite like donner meat, but without the horror of having to eat an unspecified meat that’s been rotating for an unspecified amount of time. We’ll have these in pitta breads with salad and jalapenos.

I haven’t made teriyaki sauce before, but I’ve got some fresh ginger which needs using up and still have garlic from N’s mum and dad’s allotment, so I thought why not give it a whirl.

I’m hoping to supplement our diet with our first foraged food of the year this week, alexanders and hairy bittercress, but more on that another time. . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment